Monday, September 25, 2006

Student's and their citations...

How hard is it to correctly write a citation in APA format? Not that difficulty, yet students seem to have this mental block when it comes to doing so. I teach them in my classes, they have access to the APA manual, I even give them a cheat sheet that shows how to do it!!!! Yet they still refuse to do it. It isn't just the undergraduates although theirs are a lot worse than the graduate students. Tomorrow I am teach 4 sections of an undergraduate education class "Education in a Democratic Society", the instructor for the course sent me the students first assingment to review, so I could look it over and see what I thought the students need help with. Their citations are so bad they make my eye twitch. I don't know if they are not being taught it in the classrooom or if the classroom faculty isn't markinf off for incorrect citations....Hoepfully I will be able to help the students tomorrow.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Now THAT'S something I would love to spend the rest of my life doing. I'd love to be an English teacher. My nephew who is currently enrolled at Valdosta University in Georgia, sends me his English papers to proofread before he turns them in. I get a kick out of doing that. The only thing that keeps me from pursuing that line of work is that I would have to get a PhD to teach at the college level and I know I don't have that in me. So I settle for the yucky library career. Students are lazy. And after writing a paper they couldn't care less about a dumb ol' citation so they just give it a half-ass effort. Just my 2 cents worth.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Paul-cant-dance said...

APA, MLA, it's all just acronymbolus to me. Still, I suppose I'll have to get it right, good thing I married a Librarian. Speaking of which... might I suggest the phrase "Adjunct"? To Sam, of course - My lovely dear wife is already teaching short classes, and God willing may teach Adjunct sometime in the future.

6:28 PM  
Blogger logoANN said...

Librarians... saving the world one citation at a time!

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home