Sunday, August 13, 2006

Ah, the laptop

I never thought I would like a laptop. They always seemed so small to me. Lately I have changed my mind. In December the university told me it was time for me to select a new computer. I could either get a desktop or a laptop, the univeristy was encouraging laptops. I figure this is so the faculty can take their computer with them when they travel, so it cuts down on departmental computer funds. Not only did I get to select a desktop or laptop, I also got to choose between a PC or a MAC. Wow to work at a unviersity where they let you decide.
I selected my mac i-book and I love it. It is a little small, but since the university wants everybody to go to a laptop they gave away additional funds to purchase a larger flat screen, wireless keyboard and mouse for when you are working in your office. Today I really appreciated my i-book. I had a book review due to LIBRES (a library journal) and it was too beautiful a day to sit inside, so I took my i-book onto my front porch and wrote my reivew with the husband mowing the grass in the background. I discovered I even get our wireless internet on the front porch, so I am writing my blog out there.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

It sounds like you got yourself a nice little toy there. Congrats. I'm sure it's going to come in very handy because of the convenience it provides. I'm like you, I was never a big fan of laptops. I will check one out from a library when I go on out of town school-related trips but I'm still happier with a desktop. Size IS everything to me. And no, it's not compensation for the lack of in other areas so don't even go there. I've had my current desktop for about 5 years now and it's still alive and kicking. Paulette would like for me to buy a new desktop but I don't see the need at the moment. Maybe when I graduate I'll buy a new one to reward myself. Have fun with your new laptop. No excuse not to post more often on the blog.

6:29 AM  
Blogger Paul-cant-dance said...

of course it wouldn't work without the wireless I put in...

my laptop purrs and sheds hair everywhere.

7:14 PM  
Blogger logoANN said...

Don't you love living in the future... We have almost everything except the flying cars. Computers that sit in your lap, instant information transfers and flat panel tv's. Yup, all we need are flying cars and whole meals in pill form...

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home