Friday, June 19, 2009

Chickens and garden

Well it has been a while and people have requested photos of the chickens. They are growing like weeds and are very excited about getting outside. Paul is building a chicken tractor for them this weekend. We will use that until we can get the permanent coop built later this summer. The permanent coop will need to be insulated and have electricity, the chicken tractor will get them through the next few months just fine. I'll post photos when it is finished.








Here is the garden. The rain the last few days has just done wonders for it. This is the wildflower/butterfly garden that Paul bought for me last year. 

There are peas and onions against the fence. In the big bed there are potatoes, cucumbers, tomatoes and asparagus that has gone to seed.  In the other bed against the back fence are my sweet potatoes.

 This bed is all green beans. We enjoyed them a lot last year and I wanted to make sure I had plenty to can this year. 

In the final bed we have yellow squash (one of Paul's favorite veggies!), zucchini, lima beans (a new addition this year) and lots of tomatoes. I wanted to get some tomatoes to can sauce so my Uncle Ike gave me all of his leftovers, about 25 plants. 

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeph said...

You're having much better luck with beans in your raised beds. I've had a lot of the ones I planted directly in the ground rot out so far this year. Gotta try reseeding some AGAIN. :-(

2:16 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Question: In your raised beds, how much soil goes into one of those? How many inches high worth of soil? We're going to build one of those to have a veggie garden of our own. We can't dig around here because the ground is mostly all rock except for a few inches of soil on top. Right now all we have growing is some mint and some Basel in some pots. My mother in law tried her luck with some tomato plants but not having much luck. It's probably because it's just too darn hot. We've been near the century mark for the last three weeks with no relief in sight. You guys are doing a great job. And your chickens look a lot like pigeons right now. lol

6:28 PM  
Blogger sister steve said...

Vanessa, it looks great! Tell Paul that I am very proud of him. The stall for Angel is next.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home