Saturday, January 07, 2006

How smart is smart enough?

So today one of my many listservs contained an e-mail that announced a job. Immersion (an institute for Information Literacy that is world wide, and is highly selective of its participants) is seeking 1 new faculty member. This is in addition to a permenant posisition. So I could keep my regular job and this would be in addition to it, take 1-2 weeks full time work a year, and a lot of reading a preparing the rest of the year. Am I crazy for even wanting to apply? Not crazy because of the time committment, afterall I am finishing up my second Master's degree while working full time (this will be completed in May, hoorah!). But, this faculty at least in my mind, is elite. I have only been a librarian for 4 years, am I really qualified to apply?
I attended Immersion as 1 of 90 selected participates in August 2005 and it was awesome, I learned so much. If I could help other librarians get passonate about teaching, which is something we all should be doing, it would be so fullfilling. One of my long term goals is to earn my doctorate degree and teach in a library science program and this would go a long way in preparing me for that. I'll keep you posted.

7 Comments:

Blogger logoANN said...

You are so so so so so so so smart. What's a little more smart to add to the top of the pile. Go for it girlie.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Zegi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Zegi said...

Sorry major typo. Reposted:

If it feeds your career ambition and makes you feel elite, it is something you have got to go for. Everyone wants to be truly great at something. Why not this? GOOD LUCK!!!!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Paul-cant-dance said...

Comment Deleted:
This post has not yet been written by the author. Mostly because he isn't really an author yet.

Tacitly speaking, (?) I see no reason why not - I'm sure I can handle the dogs and cats - I'll just need to stock up on Dr. Pepper and Chips Ahoy Chocolate Chip cookies. (which I'm politely and kindly discouraged from eating).

It would certainly help the bankroll in the long run, as well as the Ph to D in the future.

7:07 PM  
Blogger logoANN said...

Paul, now don't forget to add candy canes. Those too I believe you are "politely and kindly discouraged" from consuming in abundance...

9:15 PM  
Blogger VJ said...

Hey now...Paul can eat all the Chocolate Chips cookies and drink all the dr. pepper he wants...just not at home! We are trying to eat healthier. When the little librarian/techie comes along I'll have to eat healthy so Paul will have to eat healthy because I have no self control and any and all junk in the house will be fair game.
As for the candy canes...well they are hard to find except at Christmas!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Paul-cant-dance said...

Ah, it's good to know I have permission to stock up on junk food in my office. I thought I had to behave everywhere.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home